Back in October, I became extremely interested in different types of tea. Before that time, the only tea that I drank was sweet tea on occasion. One of my girlfriends is extremely obsessed with tea and after hearing her talk about it, I became interested. First, I started with the basic tea bags. At an out of town conference they had a Tazo spread of all different types so I tried several to determine my preference. After that, I bought some of my own tea bags. My favorite one that I found was an Egyptian Mint Green Tea. Just recently (after a trip to Teavana), I have moved onto loose leaf tea. I am still very much a tea amateur but wanted to share some things about tea that got me extremely interested!
- Although still controversial, studies have shown that green tea may cause weight loss and fat burn, particularly in the tummy area. Unfortunately, most studies show that it must be taken in in large amounts (at least 5 cups per day).
- There is strong evidence that tea intake is related to improved heart health and lowering risk for heart disease.
- Black tea is related to lowering cholesterol and blood pressure.
- Black and green teas are related to reducing blood clotting and widening blood vessels in the heart.
- Studies have shown that drinking at least one cup of green tea per day may decrease tooth loss.
- Studies have shown that green tea can help boost the immune system.
- Green tea could improve function in old age.
- Green tea consumption may reduce inflammation as well as the risk for several cancers.
Research is still being done on the health benefits of tea. Most of this research is still pretty new. With that said I am trying to get at least 4 cups of green tea a day, so I will be sure to inform my bloggers if all of the sudden all my belly fat disappears!!
I highly encourage you to try your take at tea. Not only does it have great health benefits, but it serves as a great beverage alternative for those of us who like flavor but regret drinking 3 diet cokes a day. Just make sure to try several different kinds before giving up and saying that you don’t like it… they are all different and one may surprise you!