This chicken was just so fabulous. It all started when I went to Kroger, was browsing the chicken section, and found a Simple Truth whole chicken on sale because there were two days until it’s sell by date (this happens a lot at my little Kroger). So I called my mom and asked her what I could do with a whole chicken- we decided I’d find a crockpot recipe! Of course I wasn’t satisfied with any I found, so I tweaked a couple and made it my own. I encourage anyone making this recipe to do the same. Jess and I really like garlic and we put Cavender’s on everything so this way worked for us, but just play around and add what you like- I guarantee you won’t go wrong. Next time I may back off on the salt and Cavender’s and just add a tiny bit after it is done to save some sodium. I really think all the other spices plus the onions are make this so good anyway.
Also, our chicken weighed around 2 pounds, which was perfect for one night’s dinner (with yummy grilled veggies) and then enough leftovers for us both to eat the next night. If you are feeding more than four, or want more leftovers I’d go a bit bigger.
Crockpot Chicken (serves 4)
- 1 large roasting chicken
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp thyme, ground
- 1 tsp Greek seasoning (Cavender’s)
- Mix all seasonings together in a bowl, except for the chopped onion.
- Clean the chicken inside and out, and cover chicken in the seasoning mixture.
- Put in large Ziplock bag and refrigerate over night.
- In the morning, before work (or whatever you have to do that day) put the chopped onions and seasoned chicken in the crockpot.
- Heat on low for 8 hours.
110 calories, 9 g fat, 21 mg cholesterol, 3 g carbohydrate, 843mg sodium, 1 g fiber, 1 g sugar, 5 g protein